This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

I Have Three Questions Concerning My Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bills. Can You Answer Them?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I retired in 2007, I bought into the MGIB my first 4 years in. I have a few questions: 1 – Can I transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill? And if so, what form do I need? 2. Can I transfer to my spouse and child? 3. Where do I go to find out about my MGIB? — Mike

A: All good questions and I’ll answer them in the order asked. Yes you can switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Because you have over three years of service after September 10, 2001, you would have full eligibility of 36 months at the 100% tier.

If you choose to switch to the New GI Bill, just go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990.

As far as being eligible to make a transfer of benefits to your spouse and child, that is a no-go. You have to be currently serving at the time you make a request. You really did not miss out on anything being you retired in 2007. The Post 9/11 GI Bill didn’t start until 2009 and it is not retroactive for those getting out before August 1, 2009.

The best way to find out what you have for Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits is to request your Certificate of Eligibility by filling out and submitting the form I referenced – VA Form 22-1990.

In return, you’ll get a Certificate of Eligibility that will show the GI Bill you have, the number of months/days of eligibility you have left to use and the date when you have to have used them or they will expire.

If you did not switch before, you could at that time by submitting another VA Form 22-1990. Indicate that you want to give up your MGIB and take the Chapter 33. Also enter in an effective date when you want the change to take effect.

Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)