This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Are There Other Army Education Benefits Available for Veterans Besides the GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: If a veteran of military service has the desire to return to school, but did not take advantage of GI Bill benefits while in service, what programs are out there for veterans to further their educations? — Orlando T.

A: If it has been awhile since you were in school Orlando, one good place to start looking for non-GI Bill Army education benefits is with the Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) program. Administered by the Department of Education and free for veterans with at least 181 days of service, VUB’s mission is helping veterans succeed with their education goals. Whether you want to get your GED or go to college, VUB helps you hone your subject skills so you can pursue your education goals. This program is designed for veterans who are first-generation college students or who can demonstrate financial need. VUB improves your skills in:

  • Math
  • Writing composition
  • Science labs
  • Reading
  • Literature
  • Computer basics
  • Study skills

It also helps veterans with application paperwork and career counseling including:

  • Assistance in filling out college applications
  • Assistance with applying for financial aid
  • Academic advice

Another great source of non-GI Bill Army education benefits are the Veterans’ Affairs Offices in the fifty states and three territories. Some states offer scholarships for their Vietnam veterans while others have reduced or free tuition for those who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, in addition to other programs. Regardless of when or where you served, there is almost something for every veteran.

States want to help their veterans. You can show your appreciation by graciously accepting their benefits and improving your future.

Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)